Skip to main content

Getting Your Resolutions Done Cheaply

Hey guys- as everyone is freaking out about the holidays and getting gifts together for family and friends I am taking a moment to think about goals for the new year- mine usually involve learning more, getting business stuff done that I need to do, Getting cooler jobs, trying to buy equipment that would make my life easier, and trying to do things to keep my life enriched because that stuff feeds the creativity.

So for a moment screw others lets think about ourselves as artists shall we <3

Ok, or be a better person and also consider your friends for these too :P

Groupon contacted me because they exist for people like us, so I went looking to see what they have that would be useful for animators. And omg I found about a thousand things from art supplies to cheap tickets to art museums to affordable website building (and coupons for toys, ahem- I mean collectibles). I narrowed it down a lot, it's easy to get sucked into their site. Here's what I found

Resolution1: Improve your craft


$10 -will get you $20 in art supplies from Plaza Art Supplies for the next 5 days. Dude.  Get that sketchbook. Fill it up, start another. Try new erasers, replace those pencil nubs, replenish paper, get books or cases for existing supplies then use them all up again with practice.

$29 - There is a huge discount on a Dynamic E-Course online drawing class, I haven't taken it personally but it is worth looking into.

Resolution 2: Get Technologically Current

Genius image from Linda Laforge-Author.com
$39- Learn new software with 12 months of access to Adobe-Library Web Training for programs like InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro.

Best Buy has a ton of coupons that can be used on everything from DVDs to a new laptop to video games, check it out- sales on Apple Products, coupons for video games, $300 off of big brands, coupons just for college students (luckies).

If you're a Microsoft person there are a ton of coupons for money off of their products, including up to $500 off of computers and $300 off of Surface Pro 3. There are also some coupons specifically for students (luckiessss!)

Resolution 3: See Great Art

Image by Wayne White
$10- Buy admission !!!for 2¡¡¡ to the Taft Art Museum and study those masters. I haven't been there myself because its usually so expensive, but $5 is great!

$52- A 3-day pass to the Cincinnati Comic Expo which lets face it, why would you not go to that?  That price is a 47% discount from the normal price.  You also get early entry, a swag bag of free stuff, and first seating at panels with this discount so that is also awesome.


Resolution 4: Get Jobs



$5- get double sided business cards printed from Ink Garden

$39- Take a Make Your Own Website Class, which you have lifetime access to from Startup Saturdays Online because YOU NEED A WEBSITE.

Here are a bunch of coupons for Target for clothing and accessories to impress (ok also there are some pretty cool Star Wars toys there... I saw a giant Darth Vader recently >.< )

$79- Get help with your resume to make you sound as good as you are, and stomp the other applicants into the ground with your stupendous professionalism- this package from Reszoome offers you a resume, cover letter, and follow up thank you letter so you are all set in those departments.

Resolution 5: Be A Well Rounded Human Person



$11 Ukelele lessons?
$20 Urban Scavenger Race for 2?
$99 Drive Luxury cars on a racetrack aka Lamborghinis and Ferraris?

This is gonna be a good year.

Stay tuned because I also want to start a new exchange program for the Cincinnati Animators Network, more details about that soon!

Happy Holidays everyone!







Comments

  1. Find out the best coupons and discount codes at https://www.mspromocode.com. Recently new coupons on surface laptop, surface studio, surface book and Surface Pro 4 are added. Students and staff have special discounts on Office 365, Office 2016, Surface, Laptops and Mobiles. Checkout mspromocode.com before making any purchase at Microsoft store. We help you save money online.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making Business Not Failure Part 2: Proposals and Contracts

He's probably trying to sell her an explainer video. Business Proposals and Marriage Proposals have similarities. They are both an offer that will hopefully lead to a leap of faith in the form of a "yes" on the proposee's part. The proposer puts thought into the presentation and tries to emphasize the positive in order to influence a "yes."   When saying yes to a marriage proposal, the target is trusting that you will be awesome to be married to and that you will not waste the life you are requesting. And in a project proposal, the target is trusting that you will be awesome at completing the project you are proposing and that you will not waste the money you're requesting.  Before any money changes hands or work starts there needs to be a proposal at least. The proposal is like a contract, only it's more informal. I tend to use proposals, but if I were dealing with larger projects where my risk is greater I would use a contract. Contrac...

Adobe Creative Cloud Petition

The Cloud approacheth. Hey everyone! So we were talking about the Adobe Cloud changes that were coming up and we are going to put together some information in the hopes of basically petitioning Adobe to not suck. Since then I have found and signed this petition:  https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-subscription-model It also has more information about it that I read first like faqs from adobe etc.  I don't feel like just signing an online petition will necessarily do anything though, but it can't hurt. I also found his facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/adobecreativecloud And I have also found some numbers:  Basically, if you are someone who updates your software version every couple of years the cloud would be ok for you.  If not, then it's a drain of money. If I had purchased cloud instead of the last version I purchased, I would have paid $4000 by now fo...

Animation Directors Meeting- August

This is Robert Kondo and Dice Tsutsumi of Tonko House- they did a short called The Dam Keeper and it was nominated for an Academy Award. So goalz. If you are working on your own project that you want some accountability help with then come show the group what you're working on at the Animation Directors Round Table- get advice if you need it and commiseration if you want it. August 2 2017, 7:00pm Brew House 1047 E McMillan St Cincinnati, OH 45206